The humble taco of soggy lettuce and a few slices of tomato we had in our youth is no more, these days you can fill your taco with almost anything. The taco kits the supermarkets sell are UBER ridiculously expensive though, so I keep a packet of Home Brand taco shells on my emergency pantry shelf, and combine it with my pre-made taco seasoning for an easy and versatile meal. Here are a few ideas to play with…
1/2 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp garlic
1/2 tsp oregano
1 tsp paprika
4 tsp cumin
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
This makes enough for about 500 grams of meat. I usually multiply by 3 to make enough for a few meals ahead of time.
1. Simply stir one portion through your choice of mince or coat bite sized pieces of meat before cooking and fry until lightly browned and cooked through.
2. Spoon into your taco shell and top with your favourite topping….
1. Spicy mince topped with with corn salsa… dice 1 tomato, 1 avocado, 1 red onion stir through 1 tin of corn, a handful of torn coriander leaves and add a squeeze of lime juice over the top. I also add one chopped green chilli once I’ve served up a portion for my little one.
2. Chicken mince topped with shredded cabbage and grated carrot
3. Steak pieces topped with spring onion, shredded cabbage, torn coriander and grated carrot
4. OR if you find you’re out of taco shells, add spice mix to beef mince and stir through 1 can of kidney beans, 1 chopped capsicum, 1 can of chopped tomatoes, serve with avocado and sour cream you have chilli con carne for everyone!