One of the daily rules I lived by during my 365 day recovery from divorce was to find a song to help me through each day. Sometimes I’d find them myself, sometimes I’d hear them on the radio, friends would email them to me or my blog readers would send them in.
I’m still in awe of the power that a song can have over our moods. Some days these songs helped me get out of bed, sometimes they helped me smile when I couldn’t find a thing to smile about, they gave me strength when I thought I had none left and they made me stop feeling sorry for myself and got me up and dancing with my little boy.
Over my 365 days I accumulated quite a few, but I’ve short-listed my top 20 favourites here that are guaranteed to lift you up, get out some of that angry energy, make you feel empowered or simply just to make you get up and dance or twerk or whatever it is we’re doing these days…
1. Fighter, Christina Aguilera
2. Lifted, Naughty Boy featuring Emeli Sande
3. That’s Alright, Laura Mvula
4. I Am Woman, Helen Reddy
5. Free, Rudimental
6. Blame It On The Boogie, The Jackson 5
7. Play That Funky Music, Wild Cherry
8. Faith, George Michael
9. Levels, Avicci (If this doesn’t make you want to dance, nothing will)
10. F*ck You, Lily Allen
11. Higher Ground – Red Hot Chili Peppers
12. Do Your Thing, Basement Jaxx
13. Rockafeller Skank, Fatboy Slim
14. Counting Stars, One Republic
15. I Need A Dolla, Willie C
16. Elevation, U2
17. Survivor, Destiny’s Child
18. I Will Survive, Gloria Gaynor
19. R.e.s.p.e.c.t. Aretha Franklin
20. Adele, Rolling in the Deep
If you have any songs that helped you get through your divorce, email us and we’ll update the list.